“He that walks with wise men will be wise; but a companion of fools will be destroyed”
Pickle Juice. ..
I hate pickles. Sometimes when I order a burger, I specifically say “no pickles”, but sometimes the request doesn’t make it to the burger maker, and therfore I bite into a burger with a pickle. And I make the face that looks like there’s a blow out diaper nearby. And even if I take the pickle off, it’s juice has already ruined the burger.
It’s always easier to fall down than to stand up…especially for me, literally.
It (sin) always seems to be referenced with a “fall”. The great fall of some king or kingdom or ruler. Well gravity and sin must have made a deal because anytime you hear about a “fall” in the bible, it almost always is the biproduct of some kind of sin.
Thank the Lord the fate of a kingdom is not resting on my shoulders. We would not only have fallen, but rolled, and hit three trees on the way down.
But even though it’s not a kingdom, I’m still influencing people around me. Particularly two small humans who tend to follow me around a lot and want food.
It no longer only concerns myself. Who I choose to surround myself with in turn affects those who surround me.
Garbage in-garbage out.
The older I get, and the more I learn how to adult, the more important it is to me to surround myself with people who lift me up and encourage me. Because that helps me to, in turn, be uplifting and encouraging. I’ve been around the opposite, and no matter how much you try to permeate them with positivity, sometimes the pickle juice has already ruined the burger.
I bet you’ve already thought of someone. They are the pickles of life.(if you like pickles then just insert a disgusting food of your choice) And just because we are called to love doesn’t mean you have to hang out for goodness sake.
Surround yourself with people who lift you up, not with people who trip you up. You’re not the only one it affects.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Who in my life is a pickle?
- How can I influence them more than they influence me?
- If the pickle juice has already ruined the burger, how can I get my money back? Just kidding. What steps can I take to surround myself with more positive people?
30 day challenge – read more in thehit repeat again previous blog…
1. Write down a list of things you need to pray for
- This is not a wish list
- Try not to just make them all about you
- Keep the list small and purposeful
2. Spend at least 30 minutes in uninterrupted prayer
- A scheduled time not just throughout the day
- Ideas: 30 minute drive to work, actually getting up early, skipping a tv show, praying before bed
3. Read at least one scripture passage a day
- Pick a book of the Bible and read a passage each day
- Follow our blog for daily scripture
4. And if you fail one day out of 30 –HIT REPEAT AGAIN!