they keeps the power…
(Featured Image: a scene in Diary of a Mad Black Woman when Madea and Helen break in and destroy her husbands and his mistress’s house to get revenge.)
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
Forgiveness might be one of the hardest things to do. Especially when it was something that deeply hurt or scarred you.
I can think of things that I claim to have forgiven, but the slightest reminder or hint of something similar takes me back to that place in a negative way. So I have to ask myself if I really forgave.
Some of us had pretty easy childhoods, but others lived a nightmare. And as adults, I’ve seen the pain in the eyes of a friend when they share things that have been done to them as kids or in a bad relationship. But the problem is, if you don’t forgive them, you will never be free of it.
There’s a line in the movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, when Helen’s mother is trying to encourage her to forgive her abusive husband. She says,
“When some body hurts you they take power over you, if you don’t forgive them then they keeps the power. Forgive him baby and after you forgive him, forgive yourself”
This is a truly hilarious movie with fantastic life lessons in it, if you can get past the ridiculousness.
Remember without forgiveness, we would not even be here to blog about forgiveness. We forgive because He first forgave us.
Homework: Go watch Diary of a Mad Black Woman.
30 day challenge – read more in the “hit repeat again” previous blog…
1. Write down a list of things you need to pray for
- This is not a wish list
- Try not to just make them all about you
- Keep the list small and purposeful
2. Spend at least 30 minutes in uninterrupted prayer
- A scheduled time not just throughout the day
- Ideas: 30 minute drive to work, actually getting up early, skipping a tv show, praying before bed
3. Read at least one scripture passage a day
- Pick a book of the Bible and read a passage each day
- Follow our blog for daily scripture
4. And if you fail one day out of 30 –HIT REPEAT AGAIN!